Our fire station is located at 21 North Church Street in Thurmont. This
location is just north of the intersection of Maryland Route 77 (Main Street)
and Maryland Route 550 (in Town limits, Church Street, and out of Town, Sabillasville
Road). The first fire hall was located in a garage under the Town Hall, and
the bell hanging in a bell tower on the roof was rung to alert the
firefighters. This structure,
built in 1890, was torn down in 1950 to make way for construction of the present
The bell that had hung in the bell tower on the old Town Hall is now the centerpiece of the Eugene McKissick Memorial to deceased Guardian Hose Company members. The Memorial is located at the southeast corner of the present Fire Hall parking lot.
Pictured below is the laying of the cornerstone for the new Fire Hall.
Cornerstone Laying, July 4, 1950
Pictured below is the existing Fire Hall soon after construction was completed. We raised the engine bay doors by two feet to allow our 1987 Squad truck to fit in the building; other than that modification, the appearance of the Fire Hall hasn't changed all that much over the years.
(Photographs from the files of the Guardian Hose Company).
review guardianhose.org's Disclaimer.