Home

 

    United States flag                      Fire Hall                       State of Maryland flag

 

 

    Guardian Hose Company logo           

Fire Hall 2007
New Fire Hall Quick Facts
Decommissioning Photos
Fire Hall Demolition

New Fire Hall occupied in 2007 - photo courtesy of Gateway Printing, Inc.

Photo courtesy of Gateway Printing, Inc.

The Guardian Hose Company has started the process of replacing our existing fire hall which was built in 1950. Since our founding in 1887, the men and women of the Guardian Hose Company have taken immense pride in protecting the lives and property of Thurmont area residents from the ever-present dangers of fire.

UPDATE - We occupied the building in May 2007 and are in the process of getting settled in and unpacked. The last bricks from the Buy a Brick program are being laid on the memory wall inside the building and finishing touches on the building are being completed [photograph]

We are an all volunteer fire company and receive minimal government funds. The small amount of tax dollars that we are appropriated annually are designated as "operational" funds that are used primarily for fuel and repairs for our fire trucks, the electricity bill at the fire hall, and other costs associated with the day-to-day operations of the fire company. NO tax dollars are used for the replacement of fire trucks. NO tax dollars will be used for the construction of a replacement fire hall.

 

Architect's rendering of front elevation of new fire hall

Architect's rendering of front elevation of new fire hall


Decommissioning Ceremony

On Sunday, July 2, 2006, the former fire hall was decommissioned in a solemn public ceremony. Citizens, elected officials, and members of the Guardian Hose Company gathered in the Fire Hall for the event. The building's two cornerstones were removed, the United States and Maryland State flags were lowered, and the bell on the McKissick Memorial was rung. Immediately after the decommissioning ceremony concluded, a ground breaking ceremony for the new fire hall was held.

 

Guardian Hose Company President Wayne Stackhouse speaks at the Decommissioning Ceremony held on Sunday, July 2, 2006

(left) Guardian Hose Company President Wayne Stackhouse speaks at the Decommissioning Ceremony held on Sunday, July 2, 2006.
(right) The Fire Hall's two cornerstones ready for removal. Why two cornerstones you ask? The 1890 cornerstone is from the first Fire Hall (which also stood on this site); the 1950 cornerstone (perpendicular to the 1890 cornerstone) is from the Fire Hall we decommissioned. Click here to see a photograph of the 1950 Cornerstone Laying Ceremony.

The Fire Hall's two cornerstones ready for removal. Why two cornerstones you ask? The 1890 cornerstone is from the first Fire Hall (which also stood on this site); the 1950 cornerstone (perpendicular to the 1890 cornerstone) is from the Fire Hall we decommissioned.

More photos

Photos courtesy of John Kinnaird

 

Hit Counter

 
 
Please review guardianhose.org's Disclaimer.

Copyright 2002 - 2014 Guardian Hose Company, Inc.  
Last modified: May 16, 2011